It has been a great pleasure for me to study as a student in the Solo Training Course. I have experience in martial arts beginning from the 1982 and I have done my share of teaching too.
To see new training methods and approaches to individual problems has been a refreshing experience! The pell-part totally blew my mind and next day I had one in my yard.
I sincerely recommend The Solo Training Course as a tool of self-improvement for both the beginners and more advanced students of Historical European Martial Arts regardless of their style or discipline.
The Anonymous Scandinavian
Solo training is the secret behind all truly excellent martial artists' accomplishments. Yes, pair practice and competitive freeplay are also essential components, but all world class swordspeople and martial artists spend most of their training time on either solo training, or training with their coach.
If you have regular access to a school or training partners, you can still dramatically up your game by incorporating intelligent solo training into your schedule. This course will teach you how.
If you live miles away from the nearest fellow martial artist, don't worry, this course does not require training partners. Instead we cover everything you can reasonably do alone to improve your swordsmanship skills.
This course includes the following standalone courses:
- Fundamentals: Breathing This course will teach you how to breath properly, and how to develop anaerobic and aerobic fitness without injuring yourself. (Value $140 +sales tax if in Europe)
- Fundamentals: Footwork This course will teach you how to move like a martial artist, whatever style you wish to practice. (Value $200 +sales tax if in Europe)
- Recreating Historical Swordsmanship from Historical Sources This course will teach you how to study the sources and create useful training syllabi from them. Most such work can indeed be done alone. (Value $250 +sales tax if in Europe)
And adds to them with specific instruction on:
- How to build a pell and a wall target
- How to create handling drills for any weapon
- Solo training drills for a range of weapons (with more being added over time)
- Stick handling drills to improve strength and weapons control
- Instruction on how to create a daily practice, and to train for longer term goals.
The course is ready now, and will be added to depending on what the enrolled students ask for. The most recent additions have included how to sharpen a sword, and how to use a pell.
As with all my courses, you are always welcome to email me with questions, post videos for me to comment on, and so on. Despite the name of this course, you are NOT ALONE.
I have been training martial arts for 30 years, and teaching swordsmanship professionally since I founded The School of European Swordsmanship in 2001. The School has branches and study groups all over the world, so I have taught thousands of students, from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures. My books include The Swordsman’s Companion, The Duellist’s Companion, The Medieval Dagger, The Medieval Longsword, The Theory and Practice of Historical Martial Arts, and The Swordsman's Quick Guide series of ebooks along with many others. It's my job to help you achieve your goals. I do this by teaching in person, through my books, and through these online courses.
PreviewWelcome. Please start here. (4:36)
PreviewCreating a Daily Practice (10:43)
StartPlanning your training: days, weeks, months, years (13:43)
StartCreating solo forms (18:24)
StartHandling Drills introduction (8:07)
StartStriking drills introduction (7:50)
StartThe Pell (4:27)
StartPoint control basics (7:43)
StartConditioning: Stick drills (20:02)
Courses Included with Purchase
Original Price: $590
Frequently Asked Questions
Guy's Solo course has been a tremendous asset in helping extend my swordsmanship practice outside my always too few club meetings. It has provided direction and structure that my home practice lacked, moving away from just working on whatever technique I thought of from the previous club meeting to a more consistent development of core skills and gotten me to start thinking of my own drills instead of just doing what was shown. This course has been one of the most valuable additions to my swordsmanship training to date!